Sunday, February 20, 2011

Thing #10

I'll admit that I am one of those teachers who wasn't really sure on the copyright laws. I just assume that everything I am using is fair use because I give credit to where I got it from, and I am using it to benefit my students. The only thing I use regularly is google images to have pictures that go along with vocabulary words. Since I have started using picture games like memory my students test scores have improved.

I have heard of creative commons before because we had to watch a video on it this summer for back to school training. I think it is a fantastic idea because someone like me doesn't need to copyright my stuff. I wouldn't say that I contribute much to the web, but if and when I do, I am willing for anyone to share and use my ideas. I think most teachers create things with others help and would agree to share anything they put on the web. I got into the business of teaching to educate. If something I am doing can be used in other classrooms effectively, then I want to share it without someone questioning if I would sue them.

I have not actually seen the CC on anything (or perhaps I am not very observant). Since I have not learned much about the CC, I did a little research to find some cons of the idea:

Jocalling
lists cons such as the license only lasts for 14 years and is renewable once before it is completely released to public domain. It also points out that once you have put a CC on something, you cannot later change your mind.

Overall it seems like if your intent is to share your creativity for the enjoyment or advancement of others, then CC is a great idea. If you are more concerned about making money off of your ideas, then stay away from CC.

No comments:

Post a Comment