Sunday, January 23, 2011

Thing #7

As a teacher that would like to use blogging in the classroom, I think the need for comments is very crucial. I would like to have my students interacting with each other electronically. If I just post information without any interaction, there is no proof that my efforts are even being utilized.

Having said that, I know the first thing I would have to do is teach the importance of commenting. One of the sites had a lot of important tips and techniques that would help students understand that "yeah" and "right on" wouldn't be sufficient enough to serve as a comment: How to comment like a King or Queen

This site continues to express the importance of the blogger to be reliable and respond to posts. I think this could be an amazing way to have students respond electronically to books we are reading in class. This way they can learn from each others opinions and feelings towards a book. I try to get my students to discuss their opinions in real time, but they are very uncomfortable with "putting themselves out there". I think commenting on a blog could teach this idea of conversation and learning from each other.

It was much easier to comment on teacher's blogs that are taking this class because I felt a safety net with putting my opinions out there. I think it will be very cool when I run into these same teachers in the future at trainings. It felt a little awkward commenting on a complete stranger's blog. For one, there are many more people out there other than just the blogger reading my thoughts. I think the more I do it, the more I will feel a part of the conversation. This is a great learning experience to know how my students may react with blogging in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment