Saturday, October 9, 2010

Thing #6

I was excited to let my reader pile up for a couple days and scroll through for articles that interested me. During the school year I am never able to dive into a book of my own choosing because I am constantly reading books for my masters, year long literacy class or for my literature circle groups in class.

This reader has been very beneficial to me because I am able to scroll through articles that I am interested in to find one I'd like to read. I hope that one day I can have computers in my classroom for every student so that they can each setup readers to read 2-3 times a week in class. My goal this year is to have the students setup a reader that they can access if they are interested during their computer time, library time, or at home.

I ran across an article this evening that really caught my eye. I thought it would be appropriate to discuss here because it brought up a lot of points this class has already taught: Can Money Buy You Happiness?. The article basically states that a recent study claims that peoples happiness rose as their salaries grew to $75,000 a year and then reached a plateau. The article continued and asked students 13 and older to comment on their reaction to this. They also asked for students to post their feelings on the issue of money and happiness.

The best part of reading this article was reading the comments by students. It was amazing to me to read all of the points being made by students. I won't share my own personal opinion on whether money can buy happiness, but I will link my favorite comment from a teacher standpoint: Aaliyah. She brings up a very good point since this question was posed to students.

No comments:

Post a Comment